NOTE: This proposal was written in consultation with @hudsonsims
We, RADAR, would love to feature Botto in our next research cycle as part of a Centaur Future. In this partnership we would:
0.1 Run a Partner Feature:
- Much like we featured KABOOM! in our report on Play, we’d love to feature Botto in Our Centaur Future. We’d embed a researcher in the Botto community for the span of the cycle with the aim of getting an ethnographic understanding of the relationship between Botto and its governing community. In tandem, we’d conduct 1:1 interviews with (2) representatives of your choosing. Together, these would inform an in-depth profile of Botto in relation to the themes of the report.
0.2 Create an Art Collab: We’d love to collaborate on a collection of (3) pieces of art between RADAR x BottoDAO
- Ideally, we’d work together across communities to identify a vision for the collection that’s in keeping with both the mission and vision of Botto and its artistic autonomy and the underlying themes and questions at play in the research. There are a number of shapes this could take; we’re excited to explore them together and see what emerges from the collective.
- While using Botto’s fragments and Botto’s process of community feedback and curation as the raw material to work with, this would be a production of BottoDAO, not Botto, as with Ceci n’est pas un Botto
- We’re open to making this a derivative of previous or discarded work, which we could reinspire with research from the cycle
- We have a creative director who would be happy to dig through Botto’s materials or you can source your own
- Ultimately, in an expression of balance between humanity and technology, these would take the shape of printed posters as well as digital editions.
- Patrons of the RADAR research cycle would, based on their level of support, receive 1/3 or 3/3 of these posters and their digital counterparts.
- The final derivative artworks could be minted as NFTs and sold as editions on Botto or RADAR, and proceeds split. Hopefully with lots of attention created around the release of the report.
RADAR is a decentralized collective of 300+ members who have set out to accelerate better futures — in multiplayer mode. We are many things: researchers, strategists, cultural analysts, network weavers, creative catalysts, facilitators, producers, entrepreneurs, co-designers, writers, makers.
2-3 times a year, RADAR runs a collective cycle — inviting our community and the public to become participants & stakeholders in a vision of a better future that’s ripe for emergence. They produce a open source public goods foresight work to educate and inspire people to build better futures.
We work with select partnerships within this research to spotlight innovative processes, in our last research cycle we partnered with a non-profit playground advocacy group.
We’re currently focused on a Centaur Future, at the convergence of man and machine. In this research we’ll explore questions like ‘what shape should that convergence take? Will it be combative, combinatory, or something else entirely? And moreover, what will it mean for our conception of ourselves, our lives, and one another?’
We believe that Botto truly embodies this research, where AI and humanity converge, we’d love to partner to not only feature you in the research, but also work together to produce 3 artworks which we can release at the end of the research process along with the report.
2.0 Proposal Specification
- Invite Radar researcher to join Botto with an access pass providing voting points, who will engage and observe in the discord.
- After initial observations, researcher will identify key areas and people to interview and conduct a vote with Jokedao for the DAO to determine representatives to interview.
- Radar will create a prompt for requesting interviewees; identifying the key conversations they hope to have
- Botto members can put themselves forward to be interviewees
- Botto members will vote via Joke Race to select interviewees
- Researcher will produce an in-depth profile of the DAO based on their research, interaction with the protocol, and interviews
- Researcher will discuss with DAO different concepts and approaches to the artwork that could work
- They will create a proposal the DAO will vote on to determine the final approach on creating 3 artworks that will be printed as posters for RADAR patrons. This proposal will also determine the parameters for a possible editioned mint art sale of the collaboration.
3.1 Research embedding
- Research partnership: 20/08/23 - 20/10/23
- RADAR kicks off research 22/08
- Secondary ethnographic research 01/09 - 13/10
- Primary Research & Interview conducted - 20/09-13/10
- Optional Botto Community workshop - 20/09
- Botto Feature creation 13/10-30/10
3.2 Artwork creation
- Research topics and concepts to share with Botto: 20/09/23
- Research interviews synthesis shared with botto 13/10
- Artwork creation 20/09-20/10
- Report Launch: 02/11/23
- Artwork released: 02/11/23
- Our research reports are open source and accessible to all, they do not cost anything to read
- The Partnership and research spotlight wouldn’t cost you anything to the DAO other than the artistic contribution of Botto.
- We could sell the final collab artworks as an NFT edition post report, and split the sales.
- We would reserve some posters and NFTs for botto members, distributed via Botto choice
5.0 Criteria of success
- Embedding into the Botto community to learn about the process and the powerful relationships between ai and human creativity
- 1 thought leadership piece spotlighting botto as a research partner
- 5000 unique viewers from industry leading companies and individuals (our last 2 reports have reached 10k unique viewers from senior leaders at WGSN, Future Lab, Disney, Lego, Protocol Labs etc)
- A trial of bottoms-up governance exercises including a community-developed art collaboration within the DAO
- Additional governance tasks for community