Switching the cull parameters from bottom 349 fragments by Raw Score to total voting points earned in Period, and adding back in the top-voted fragments discarded this period.
When we implemented the cull during Genesis (BIP-4), we used Raw Score (called True Score in the proposal) as a metric to determine the bottom tier to remove.
The Raw score is calculated by the number of times a fragment has been selected vs. viewed:
This has had the unintended consequence of some of the fragments with the highest conviction by VP, which get viewed more, getting lower scores than fairly obscure pieces that had a few positive views but never enough conviction to rise to the top. This has led to high-conviction pieces, including ones that had reached the leaderboard, getting culled in subsequent rounds.
This proposal would change the cull to be based on total VP acquired in a Period instead of raw score.
Given this is in response to already seeing some top fragments get culled, this BIP would retroactively apply the new standard so that the top-voted fragments in the discards from Fragmentation will be added back into the voting pool.
- Fragments that get conviction (by VP) in a round will be unlikely to get culled and have a chance to re-emerge in later rounds
- If live visibility of VP and rank is added, it will be possible for people with conviction for a fragment to save it from being culled
- Voting pool will be adjusted at the end of Round 6 on December 20
- The voting pool going into Round 7 will be reset to the top 700 fragments by VP, discarded or not, plus the 350 new fragments getting added in that round
- New ongoing cull will be the bottom 349* fragments based on total VP earned in a period
*reminder that the mint is also removed from the voting pool.
N/A, a half day of dev work.
Imposed Lindy effect: Newer fragments will have a relatively tougher challenge to stay in the voting pool as fragments that have been around longer will accumulate VP over time.