This proposal seeks approval for the implementation of Botto Activation Events at NFT and AI art related physical venues. The goal is to engage new users and grow the active community-member base without incurring the usual high sponsorship fees associated with such events. Instead, we propose swapping event space for a high-utility experience for event visitors.
Additionally, this proposal aims for the first time to involve local DAO members in each event location to collaborate with DAO contributors during the activation event, in an effort to strengthen community collaboration and setting a standard for further non-contributor participation.
The primary objective is to pilot an activation event at ETHBarcelona (ETHBcn), evaluate its success, and decide on the continuation of similar initiatives. The proposal requests a budget approval of up to 3 ETH for production costs and collaborator stipend, along with 2,500-5,000 $BOTTO for Twitter giveaway compensation. The total blanket budget of 10 ETH and 25,000 $BOTTO will cover the potential continuation of these events if the pilot is successful.
A standard activation event approach could include the following steps:
- Pre-event: Communicate with attendees via email, social media, or Discord, highlighting the collaboration between the venue and Botto. Focus on pitching the Botto narrative, in-event voting, AP utility, and $BOTTO Twitter competition.
- During the event: Display Botto's collaboration narrative, instructions, and rewards at prominent areas of the venue. Exhibit selected Botto artworks or fragments that align with the event's theme (when possible). BottoDAO contributors and collaborators will act as on-site support, networking with and activating event attendees.
This proposal intends to extend growth initiatives to physical, in-person events, but avoiding the high-cost sponsorship fees, by piloting it at ETHBarcelona, where 2,200 visitors and +100 speakers attended last year, and following the success of activation initiatives like our Community Access Passes (APs) and past exhibitions featuring activation QR codes to vote, like the Botto Anniversary in London and NFT Paris.
We pulled some metrics on the above to help us make a more informed decision:
- ETHBarcelona 2022 got 77.8m impressions and 438k views on 29 coverage pieces, as well as +3m impressions and 15.5k mentions on Twitter;
- 2,977 unique wallets onboarded to Botto through Community APs;
- 26% of Community AP holders are also Governance stakers;
- 540 unique wallets onboarded to Botto through the two IRL exhibitions featuring activation materials mentioned above, with 46 and 40% of those wallets respectively also being stakers - to be noted that in these two cases the primary goal of these exhibitions was not to activate users;
The primary objective is to engage and activate users with the narrative we all live and breathe as BottoDAO members, offering a different level of interaction and engagement than online platforms, but further improving and professionalizing the approach taken in London (Bottoversary) and Paris (NFTParis). ETHBcn presents an excellent opportunity for this pilot, with organizers already agreeing to provide space detailed in a later section of this BIP. The outcomes of this event will inform the DAO's decision on whether to continue these activations at other upcoming events this year.
3. Proposal Specification
This proposal aims to execute the forthcoming ETHBcn event, scheduled on July 5-7. The exact timeline will be determined in accordance with the event schedule. The execution steps are as follows:
Engage with ETHBcn subscribers via newsletter about Botto's Activation (Botto Live Voting Experience) and the expected rewards (co-branded BottoxETHBarcelona AP, Twitter curation competition on-site with 5k $BOTTO in rewards).
3.2 During the event
- Big wall banners are set up in the main Sponsor Area, providing context on Botto’s community-driven philosophy or art creation, voting instructions using QR codes, and details about expected rewards (AP, onboarding bounties, and Twitter competition).
- Botto's artworks are featured on a big scaffolding next to the wall banners (6-10 minted artworks that align with the “solar and lunar punk” theme), alongside other 100 artworks from prominent NFT artists on Ethereum.
- Two support self-standing banners located in the recreational area, and in the coworking area, featuring a big QR code and reminder to vote and mint a free AP.
- Assign BottoDAO contributors and collaborators to be present at the activation touchpoints, ready to answer questions and promote Botto.
- Conduct a curating Twitter Competition with 5,000 $BOTTO in prizes for those who participate. Winners will be chosen among those with the most quote tweets on their tweets containing the hashtag #BottoxETHBarcelona, a mention of a friend, and post-event instructions to get onboarded to Botto.
Each event is estimated to require a budget of 3 ETH for production costs and collaboration rewards. Additionally, 2,500-5,000 $BOTTO will be allocated for Twitter competition compensation. The total blanket budget of 10 ETH and 25,000 $BOTTO will cover the potential continuation of these events if the pilot is successful.
5. Criteria of Success
The success of this proposal will be evaluated based on the following metrics:
- Number of minted APs out of total event attendees.
- Number of minted AP wallets that vote after the event ends (considered 'activated users') and complete onboarding bounties.
- Number of minted AP wallets that stake $BOTTO (plus 2,000 $BOTTO).
- Measurement of the #BottoxEventName hashtag spread and giveaway participation (as detailed in the 'Proposal Specification' section).
- Impressions for brand awareness (provided by ETHBcn after the event).
While this proposal offers exciting potential for community growth and user activation, there are potential downsides to consider:
- The dependence on physical attendance may limit the reach of these activations.
- There may be unexpected production costs that may exceed estimates. These would need to be accommodated (within reason) if the DAO commits to an event.
- The success metrics, although comprehensive, may not fully capture the impact of these events on community growth and user activation.
- Implementing this plan in a physical event setting could present logistical challenges, such as suboptimal setup for marketing purposes.
Despite these potential disadvantages, the proposal provides a robust plan for testing a relatively low-cost activation proposal to continue growing the Botto community in a creative way.