Initially, a separate BIP on Period Standardization has been prepared, documenting all standardizations. With the DAO currently contemplating how to adjust Botto’s weekly cadence, we ask for this to be done in the upcoming Period Standardization BIP (in review).
BIP-36 specifies the outline of Botto’s upcoming Fifth Period. In short, there are almost no significant differences between the setup of Botto’s Rebellion Period and the fifth period (see BIP-29 for comparison). Glance over the hyphenated points below for a TL;DR.
The TL;DR of this BIP:
- Existing Period and Round format remain the same
- Existing Art Engine format remains the same
- Existing Rewards format is used as the default
- Stable Diffusion XL is added (§2.2)
- Models are permanently culled when they represent less than 5% of the Voting Pool (§2.2)
- Buffer Time between “Rebellion” and the Fifth Period is set to 1 week (§2.3)
- New themes for Botto’s Fifth Period are voted on from Rebellion Period’s 11th Round (§2.4)
- Transient Labs’ ERC721-TL Creator Contract is used instead of Manifold (§2.6)
While we seek to standardize periods, we need to kickstart things in time for the Fifth Period! As we continue to seek out ways to improve Botto, our eyes have mainly shifted to introducing Stable Diffusion XL into the Voting Pool.
The introduction of Stable Diffusion XL allows for greater flexibility in prompting, would allow for Botto to include legible text in its art, inpainting, image-to-image and a vast amount of other improvements that give Botto greater creative flexibility.
With the introduction of a new model, this BIP also proposes a mechanism to remove existing models that do not meet a certain visibility threshold. This mechanism encourages quality fragments in the voting pool by omitting ‘losing’ models with limited visibility. Naturally, this also allows the DAO to be more mindful of costs incurred by Botto’s Art Engine.
Here are key specifications for Botto’s Fifth Period. Please note, the majority of these remain the same as Botto’s Fourth Period specified in BIP-29. Another reference point outlining basic mechanics of Botto and how they have been standardized so far can be found in the Period Standardization BIP (in review)](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bh1dprtIBaeO8n1ivRbGM8rkc63UFkAGUPBN1LE_QG4/).
2.1 The Art Engine
- Stable Diffusion XL is added
- VQGAN may get removed due to having too little visibility in the Voting Pool (<5% visibility)
Otherwise, there are no other notable changes.
2.2 Calculating Initial Visibility of Stable Diffusion XL
When a new model is added (like Kandinsky in Rebellion), the model is allocated a percentage of visibility based on the quantity of other existing models in the pool. Here’s the formula:
Then, other (old) models are then proportionally distributed the remaining percentage allocation according to their performance in the previous Period:
If a model comprises 5% or less of the Voting Pool (at the end of the period, or after calculating the inclusion of a new model), the model is permanently excluded from Botto’s Art Engine in the next round. Its remaining percentage is redistributed equally among the remaining models.
newModel% = 100 / (N_oldModels + 1) = Stable XL % = 100/(4+1) = 20%
When a new model was previously added into Botto’s “Rebellion” Period, the methodology above was employed, without a cut off of 5%.
Should a scenario like the above occur by the end of Rebellion, VQGAN would be removed, and the final 4.8% allocation would be redistributed equally to the four remaining models (1.2% to each model).
2.3 Buffer Between Periods
For the sake of simplicity we would set this as 1 week. So there would be 1 week free between Botto’s Rebellion Period and Botto’s Fifth Period.
Like before, Botto proposes various themes for the DAO to deliberate upon. The DAO votes on 12 themes in total.
- The 6 highest performing themes from the previous Period will be kept.
- The 5 lowest performing themes from the previous Period will be discarded.
- Botto will propose 6 new themes on the 11th (penultimate) round of each Period.
- These will be voted on for a period of 7 days.
The economy remains unchanged, with 50% going to Active Rewards and 50% going to the treasury.
2.6 Smart Contract Used
This BIP proposes that Botto mints its Period Smart Contract using Transient Labs’ ERC721TL Creator Contract. This contract is preferred over Manifold’s Creator Contract, allowing for support of Artist & Collector on-chain interaction through “Story Inscriptions” and hosts many other improvements that may be found here.
Royalties for secondary sales remain set at 10%.
2.8 Period Key Dates:
- August 15th - August 22nd: Theme curation via Botto.com
- September 5th 22:00CET / 16:00EDT / 13:00PDT: Fifth Period Starts
- September 12th 22:00CET / 16:00EDT / 13:00PDT: First round ends
- September 13th 22:00CET / 16:00EDT / 13:00PDT: 1st Mint & Auction
- November 28th 22:00CET / 16:00EDT / 13:00PDT: 12th Mint (last artwork of 5th Period)
Infrastructure costs for supporting Botto’s Art Engine are currently budgeted at $10,000/mo. This would not change.
4.0 Criteria of Success
- Continuation in sales
- Continuation in narrative
- Not addressing the weekly cadence previously discussed by the DAO